Tuesday 5 June 2018

ACROSS THE SMOKEY ROOM (critically acclaimed poem & award winning poem in the category "Love Poems"


ACROSS THE SMOKEY ROOM
I watch your shadowy figure
Trying to figure you out
You sit there with a mind elsewhere
Gazing into space
Without a trace of emotions
You look lost
Your look confused
The sparkle in yours eyes gone
The music in the background playing
A sad, sad love song
You cup your head in your hands
Recognizing the beat
Wracking your brain
Like a runaway train
We’re both alike
Sat here in this Smokey, Smokey bar
Listening to that
Sad, sad love song
A love we both lost
That does not belong
You ask the bartender for a drink
Drinking our sorrows down the sink
You pull a cigarette from its packet
From there beneath your jacket
A jacket a dinner jacket
Looks like a date has gone wrong
Your tie bedraggled
A red wine stain on your shirt
Oh my do I know that score!
Here I sit cigarette in my hand
A martini on the stand
Trying to hide a red wine stain
Down this wondrous dress
He threw it over me
All because of you!
Yes you across this Smokey, Smokey room
Listening to that dam, dam
Sad, sad love song
You have wrecked so many lives
With your lies and rumours
And now it has come back at you
KARMA
But I hope that you’ll learn
Learn that you know how it feels
To lose someone you love and loved
So I will just be a face in the crowd
Passing the night away
Losing track of time
Passing these long, long hours away
© Teresa Helen Joseph-Nelson
1st December 2014
All Rights Reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment